Tuesday, March 14, 2017


Whiskey Highball also kind of came out of last year's Edinburgh Yarn Festival.  It's a collaborative project I've been working on with the folks at LoveKnitting, featuring  Bloomsbury DK yarn from The Yarn Collective in some gorgeous custom colors by Carol Feller.  Did I lose you with that sentence?


I met Carol last year, literally standing on the sidewalk in front of my door as I walked out of my flat to catch the bus to the Yarn Festival!  It was one of those amazing moments when you go to a big yarn gathering and you know you may see some of your design heroes, but then there they are.  And when you live in the US and travel to Scotland, and there's this face that you have been seeing on your computer for years and she's right there, it's kind of amazing. I don't think I got used to it at all.  

But Carol was warm and wonderful (in addition to all the talent) and we hit it off enough to continue emailing a bit, and when she asked if I'd be interested in working with her new colors of this yarn and launching a pattern with LoveKnitting, I absolutely said yes! 


A little about the hat though....  As soon as I saw the generous yardage in one skein, I knew it was time to design a cap with fat, satisfying cables AND a deep cuffed brim. I always want to do that, and I always run out of yardage with one skein and wish I'd bought two.

But not this time - and Whiskey Highball is exactly what I wanted - a deep, cozy hat that's actually long enough to cover everything I want it to (and in today's blizzard, it may be today's shoveling choice in a few hours.)


These bold cables pair with the slipped stitch detail nicely. In the crown shaping, when the cables narrow and cross inwards to taper off, the ribs work their way towards each other, creating lovely
curved lines that frame the tip of each cable in a delicate "star" at the top of the hat.


The Bloomsbury DK is soft and round and dyed in Carol's beautiful semi-solid shades, so the bold cables and slipped stitches were chosen to showcase both the yarn and the subtle color shifts without getting lost.  I also think that with the right color, this could be a great unisex design - depending on the colorway chosen.  You can see how the mood of the hat changes between the Moss and the Surf, both beautiful - but one deep and moody, the other bright and vibrant.

All the info for Whiskey Highball and the PDFs can be found either on LoveKnitting or on Ravelry for $5.  and you can find the yarn on LoveKnitting 

And that lovely model is my Maya.  Teenagers with good hair who like to look down make for great hat pics!  (She was quite willing as long as lunch was involved.)

0 comments: